#18 - 4.5 BIAB
With the wife and I still anxiously searching for our first home, sometimes it feels like brewing and beer is the only thing keeping me sane. As the weather continues to warm, I find I have a taste for hoppy beers once again. Here, then, is my first crack at an Imperial IPA.
The recipe takes inspiration from the "Hopfather Double IPA" by Russian River Brewing found in Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione. I wanted something with big flavor, lots of citrus and piney hoppiness, but with a bitterness balanced by the malt bill. I hope the first wort and dry hopping accomplish this feat -- but without blowing out my taste buds.
I added some caramel 40L malt for a little more color and residual sweetness. The flaked wheat is there for body and head retention (hopefully without giving it a heavy mouth-feel), while the added protein and enzymes from the 6-row malt will hopefully help with the extraction, conversion, and fermentability of the wort.
Thus far, fermentation has taken place in my basement at roughly 63 'F. This is a little cooler than I was originally intending -- closer to 65 'F. But, all appears to be going strong and steady, and I won't rack to secondary and dry hop for a few more days.
- 11.5 lb 2-row Pale Malt (Briess)
- 1 lb Caramel Malt 40L (Briess)
- 0.5 lb 6-row (Briess)
- 0.5 lb Flaked Red Wheat
- 0.75 oz Chinook (FWH) (13%) (leaf)
- 0.5 oz Cascade (FWH) (6.2%)
- 0.5 oz Magnum (60 min) (14.7%)
- 0.5 oz Columbus (60 min) (13%) (leaf)
- 0.25 oz Columbus (5 min) (13%) (leaf)
- 0.5 oz Willamette (knockout) (5.7%) (leaf)
- 0.25 oz Columbus (knockout) (13%) (leaf)
- 0.5 oz Cascade (dry hop) (7.7%) (leaf)
- 0.5 oz Simcoe (dry hop) (14.1%) (leaf)
- 0.5 t Irish Moss (20 min)
- Wyeast 1056 American Ale (3rd gen.)*
*1000 mL yeast starter on 5/31. Pitched from washed yeast.
- Mash with 6 gal water
- Dough in @ 109 'F
- Rest @ 104 'F for 30 min (hydration)
- Heat to 155 'F and rest 60 min
- Mash out @ 168 'F for 10 min
- Boil 60 min
- Add 0.5 gal water to fermenter
- Chill to 65 'F and pitch decanted yeast
- Ferment at 63-65 'F for 10 days
- Rack to secondary and dry hop for two weeks
Pre-boil gravity: 1.070
Post boil gravity: 1.085
Target gravity: 1.075
Target ABV: 7.12%
Target IBU: 112
Target FG: 1.018
Grain absorption was roughly 0.1 gal per 1 lb grain.