Brew date: Friday, July 29, 2011
- 6 lbs Amber Malt Extract
- 1 oz Willamette hops
- 1 oz Kent Goldings hops
- 1 pkg Wyeast Activator 1056 American Ale yeast
Bring 6 qrts of water to a boil. Add malt extract and 1 oz Willamette hops. Boil 30 mins. Add 1/2 oz Kent Goldings hops and boil 8 mins. Add 1/2 oz Kent Goldings hops and boil 2 mins.
Remove wort from heat. Place pot in sink containing cold water and ice. Let cool ~15 mins. Add to 3 3/4 gal cold water in fermentor carboy. Top off with cold water to 5 1/4 gal. Pitched yeast at just below 80 'F. Specific gravity: 1.038.
Basement temp: 74 'F, 63% humidity.
- 7/30 - Fermentor overflowed, replaced fermentation lock. (Lesson: Consider using blow-off hose for next batch?) Basement temp: 72 'F, 62% humidity.
- 7/31 - CO2 bubbling ~44 sec.
- 8/3 - CO2 bubbling ~1.22 min
- 8/9 - Gravity @ 1.013
- 8/18 - Priming sugar: Boiled 3/4 c corn sugar in 4 oz water. Added to second-stage carboy. Racked beer from from fermentor into carboy. Bottled immediately.
Recipe from the Wine and Hop Shop